Sunday, September 7, 2008

Alligators, mosquitos and spiderwebs... Oh My!

Maybe it was because we watched a Veggie Tales rendition of The Wizard of Oz since this title is all I had going through my head as I ran this morning!

I set out for my 4 miler this morning around 6:30. The sun had not yet come out and the animals were all making themselves heard. Because the light level was low, I was a bit apprehensive of going out on my run but I knew that in 10 minutes or so, dawn would be my friend. My iPod was going but very softly just so I could hear the outside noises. I was just getting into my groove when I heard a loud bellow! Could it be alligators calling this close to the trail??!! Run Forrest, RUN!!!

The sun was just starting to spread some light and the air was still.Because of the floods, the ground is extremely wet- perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes. I was into mile 2 and the trail was closed off due to the lake's increased water level. I ran under the rope that closed off the trail and I couldn't believe my eyes! The water and air were swarming with mosquitoes! I was running as quickly as I could before they carried me away!

So I finally dodged all of the blood sucking mosquitoes and then found my next obstacle. Spider webs. This area of trail is gorgeous. Strong tall Oak tree's, palms and Spanish moss surround the trail. But because it is heavily wooded, it also lends itself to spiders, and their webs! Now how a spider spins a web across 4-5 feet of trail, I don't know! Uggghhh! They stretch over your face, your sweaty legs, your arms - just everywhere! So from afar, I would hate to see what I look like running down this stretch of trail. I am sure I look like I am having convulsions from slapping the sticky webs off of my body!

The positive from this run? I was nicely distracted from the actual act of running!!! I felt great this morning despite all of the natural wonders. So now go run like the wind!

0 comments: