Sunday, October 26, 2008

What to do!!!

Ok, here is the deal. I am following the Hal Higdon plan for my first Half. In the training, it incorporates races for two of the days. I checked off the 5K from the training, but there is a 10K for Nov. 9th. I work on some weekends so it is not always feasable to race. There is one for Nov. 1st which I can run. But then it mucks up my scheduled long run of 8 miles on Sunday! Follow me?

Schedule
10/27 - strength/stretch
10/28 - 4.5
10/29 - 3 3
10/30 - 4.5
10/31 - rest
11/1 - 50 min cross
11/2 - 8 miles

So my options are to just stick to the schedule or race on 11/1 and add on a few miles after the race to get to 8 miles and ditch the cross training.

So can someone give me some feedback as to what to do? I really want to race, but I also want to get in my long run. *and* not get injured! Help a girl out!

1 comments:

MarathonChris said...

For me it depends on the race. If it is one I *really* want to do, I fun it and add miles to it to complete my long run miles. I did that last week with the UCF 5 miler.

However, if it isn't that important a race, I generally skip it and do the long run I planned.

If you do race and are worried about hurting yourself - just make sure you go in with the attitude that you are NOT racing - just run it at your long run pace and don't try to PR.

That is what I do, anyway...