Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hal Higdon with a Galloway spin...

Today I had an experiment. I was to run 5 miles and I felt pretty good as I started off. My right calf muscle is still giving me fits and today it just wasn't loosening up the way I had hoped but, hey, I am used to the pain and I kept running through it. Not good I am sure but I did it anyway.

Anyway, I have a Hal Higdon half marathon plan which I have been faithfully following. I also run it Jeff Galloway style as I run 3 minutes and then walk a minute. While I think it is the easy way out of running, it works for me at the moment! ;) So this is my experiment. I ran 3 miles Galloway style then on the 4th mile I ran straight through with no walking breaks. Then ran the last mile in the run/walk ratio. Here are my split times: Running straight is bold/italic

1 - 10:33
2 - 10:58
3 - 10:48
4 - 10:18
5 - 11:04

So was running straight really worth it for me?? No way! Even though I was a bit faster, it killed me on the last mile! So for now, I feel good about doing the whole run/walk thing.

I suppose I will continue to run like the wind - the wind is wind, no matter how fast!

1 comments:

Becky said...

I've had the same experience. And it's funny. We haven't talked, but I've come to the same conclusion! Follow Hal's plans, but run them with Jeff's interval breaks. It's really working well for me too. :)